Sunday, March 29, 2009

Status in my Eyes

I grew up in New York City but my parents are from Korea so I was brought up learning about the Korean society and culture. One subject that they have discussed with me is the idea of status. My parents believe that if you have money and a good career, you are high in the status level and people will respect you. They believe this because if you are a CEO of a company, the workers have to do as you say and obey your demands. I have to disagree with them. Yes, if you have money people will be impressed but that does not necessarily mean that you will be respected. You can have all the money in the world but still be a douche bag. I believe respect is needed to be in a good status. Anyone that looks up to you and influenced by you don't care about the amount of money you make. It is possible to be high status in a sociaty without having a lot of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment